The Georgia Policy Foundation has championed public policies that have change laws and changed lives for over 20 years.
- Higher Content Standards
- Alternative Certification to Improve Teacher Quality
- School Choice – Georgia is one of a handfull of states with charter schools, special needs scholarships and tuition tax credit scholarships
- We created “No Excuses” schools to highlight high-achieving, high-poverty schools
- We were one of the first states in the nation to publish a report card, the Foundation’s “Education Report Card For Parents”
- Low Taxes
- Elimination of the Georgia Intangibles Tax
- Elimination of the Sales Tax on Energy Used in Manufacturing, Mining and Agriculture
- One of the strongest laws in the nation protecting against eminent domain abuse
- Civil Service Reforms impacting every state employee hired after 1996
- Telecommunications deregulations that has led to a thriving telecom market
- Elimination of burdensome professional licencing regulations
- Regulatory cost/benefit analysis for small businesses
- One of the few states in the nation to shift state employees to a hybrid pension plan, moving away from a pure defined benefit plan
- Georgia is a leader in implementing Consumer-Driven Health Care Reforms such as health savings accounts, wellness incentives, cost and quality data and defined contribution plans for small businesses
- Georgia removed the state heatlh care tax penalty by eliminating state income tax on high-deductible premiums
- The Foundation was a leader in the sweeping criminal justice reforms passed in 2012
- The Foundation has championed government transparency, leading to the creation of a state transparency database and disclosure of in-depth system- and school-level spending
- Georgia is a leader in privatization of golf courses, water parks, hotels and conference centers, tourist attractions, prisons and many other government functions.
- The Foundation supported the City of Sandy Springs as it because on of the nation’s first “private cities” by outsourcing nearly all government functions.
"The Foundation always tells the truth.
" - Governor Roy Barnes